Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Paris

David asked me before we left,  “are we going on a holiday or are we travelling”?
We had talked a lot about this trip and agreed that it would be sensible to base ourselves in one or two places and not race around crazily In an effort to see all and everything, coming home needing a holiday.
When we began planning this trip for real rather than just talking about it, we realised that between us we had many places we wanted to see and things we wanted to do.  We tried so hard to limit the places we would visit but we were also aware of the distance and making the most of this time was so so important.
As we stepped off the train in Paris, into a gloriously sunny warm afternoon, it began to dawn on me that I would want to stay longer in every city and town we would be visiting.
Arriving at our AirBNB apartment was certainly going from one extreme to another. As big and extravagant as our hotel room in Dubai was, this was small.  I learnt how misleading photos can be and although I knew it was going to be small I was still a little amazed.
6985C203-0EFC-4945-A07C-970577DDD913.jpeg
ENTRANCE TO APARTMENT.  OUR DOOR TO LEFT, GROUND FLOOR

We settled in and went for a walk down to the Seine and soaked up the atmosphere of a Friday evening in Paris.
Next day, after making our phones Europe compatible,  thanks to Rosie Joyce,  my friend, Sarah, daughter, we visited L’Orangerie, and viewed beautiful art by great artists. This is where Monet has his huge water lily paintings hung in a purpose built elliptical room designed by himself.  Stunning!!  We also visited Musée D’Orsay and saw paintings and sculpture by Degas, something I really wanted to do.
David had booked us a table st a Michelin star restaurant for Saturday evening which was really beautiful
Sunday was Tour Eiffel day with an elevator ride to the second level and the obligatory kiss, romantic, cheesy  and I loved all of it.
132FDB93-B61D-46C2-A79C-9C793496A594FBAFAF2B-5713-4185-BD16-E4FB638BF35B


In Paris, you can be walking down a street with nothing but the smell of the previous nights  urine and turn the corner to see something so  breathtakingly beautiful  it’s almost unsettling.

Photos don’t do the city justice, particularly my poorly taken IPhone snaps, so in actual fact it seems to me  that to stop taking photos and to actually be in the moment and not think ahead to where or what next is a better way to travel.
Are we travelling? Yes we are.  Are we on holiday? Yes we are.  The more important question is, whether I am stopping, looking, listening, and arriving in the moment of being in a place I have never been before.  It is not my strength,  I have a monkey brain that races into the next topic or train of thought too fast.  I am trying to slow down.
I am writing this in our second floor apartment in Florence. It’s early evening and it’s 25 degrees C. The windows open directly over the street. I can hear Italian voices talking, laughter, and clinking of cutlery and plates in the restaurants across the road. I can hear an accordion playing as I sip on a cold beer mindfully.

It is bliss.

However, Florence is another story.
Mindfully yours,

kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to do about the squirrels, otherwise known as "ohh look something shiny"

Hi all, Yeah, I was going merrily about my creative business when I fell down a rabbit hole.  A Junk Journaling rabbit hole.  This is a tr...