Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Unravelling

Brene Brown writes of midlife, not as a crisis, but rather an unraveling.  A crisis, she states, can be identified, is short-lived. A defining event that can be controlled and managed.

An unraveling cannot be controlled or managed.

This resonates with me as I have felt a strong sense of coming apart somewhat in the latter part of my forties.

Brene speaks of the unraveling as a low-grade, insidious and quiet loss of control, enough to make you crazy but not enough for the people on the outside to validate the struggle or offer help.

This psychologically painful process of trying to hold competing truths is cognitive dissonance.

I am falling apart for no obvious reason and need to reach out but fear of judgement and being weak prevent this.

I think my last 6-7 years can be defined by two words.  Ah heck let's make it four...

unraveling, discombobulation and cognitive dissonance.

I would like to think that my fifties will be defined and described as something quite different.  This blog is to track the journey of shedding the baggage of my younger years and re birthing as a more authentic, open and less fearful individual.

In April we moved to a new home. A little stucco house on 3/4 of an acre which meanders down to a wild beach. This  picture is  the beach where I live.  It is unruly and unpredictable, changing every day, throwing surprises and treasure up onto the shore for me to marvel at.




I have set up my space, Kate's Space,  in the sleep out and I am eager to spend time here creating and thinking, planning and writing.

Just so you know where I am. This will be hanging on my door.



Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to do about the squirrels, otherwise known as "ohh look something shiny"

Hi all, Yeah, I was going merrily about my creative business when I fell down a rabbit hole.  A Junk Journaling rabbit hole.  This is a tr...