Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Solo Sojourn


There are those who are expert solo travellers, those intrepid backpackers or seekers of luxury resorts, who think nothing of, indeed prefer, boarding a plane and travelling to far flung places with only themselves for company.
I am not one of these people. I am more of a Winnie the Pooh and Piglet, "it's friendlier with two" kind of a gal. It is said however that you should not something until you have tried it so this year was the year I travelled alone. It came about only partly by choice, but mainly because one cannot in good conscience drag a male partner to a Scrapbooking and Paper Craft Expo.
So began my first solo adventure to far flung Brisbane, Australia earlier this month. All joking aside, it was an adventure for me and I was equal parts over the moon excited and, well, not exactly terrified but for sure, apprehensive.
Flights were booked, accommodation booked, the expo tickets purchased and classes booked, and plans made to travel from Brisbane after attending the expo to stay a few days with my daughter in the Gold Coast. What follows is a mix of things I learnt about myself, travelling alone, and what I did.
I much prefer to be early and wait in airports than to feel rushed. For every flight, I allowed much more time than I needed. This allowed me time to read, eat, watch people and wander.
I love/hate google maps. Apparently paper maps are pretty much obsolete so Google maps or some other app is where it is at. That being so, it is still very possible and in fact very likely that I will get lost using this system of navigation. So, enjoy the getting lost, because it is merely a way laying rather than in fact being truly lost. I thought that arriving after dark into Brisbane South I would prefer to take an Uber to my accomodation, but knowing in was so close I chose to walk. Yep, I took the long way, heading up streets and then back again a few times, but it was also the first step I realised in finding my bearings in a place where I knew no landmarks or familiar things.I believe I owe it to my time in Italy with David that I did not stress but just stayed in the moment. #Still think paper maps are better.
Read the full description of your Air BnB accommodation before booking. Turns out my lovely cottage room did not have its own bathroom, but a shared bathroom in the main house. I have decided I have lived long enough and I am posh enough to deserve my own bathroom. It is partly my own fault that it turned out this way. I put in a search for a room with it's own bathroom and this room came up, looked great and was a good price. I should have known apparently that based on the price it did not in fact have its own bathroom but a shared one. It did have a toilet with a cold water only basin but yeah I felt a little cheated. Other than that my room was pretty good and the location was superb.
Walk heaps and talk to as many strangers as possible without being weird.
Early morning walk along the river
I decided I would get up early the first day and find the river and walk along it. I kind of knew the direction, and of course I had my trusty Google maps but I did find myself doubting I was taking the most direct route. Luckily a wee dog decided he just had to be patted by me and I was able to talk to his owner and he pointed me in the direction of a quicker way to get to the river. Talking to and connection with people is so much better than Google maps. I loved my walk and went a long way until my knee, which thinks it is 70 years old not 50, decided to complain to me and the need for coffee drove me back into the West End in search of a hole in the Wall coffee place I had read about in an Explore Brisbane type magazine. Turns out the barista was from NZ and used All Press coffee also from NZ. My walk turned out very long after finding my way home but it was a stunning morning and I loved every minute of it.
My classes and whole experience at the Expo was amazing and I will do another post about that side of my trip with pics of my projects and what I learned. Suffice to say here, I loved it and would love to go again next year.
Have a book with you at all times!
I am not au fait with eating alone at restaurants. Many years ago when I was single I would take a book to my local, have a glass of wine or a coffee and read. I am no longer practiced at this as I was. So when I found myself at an excellent Italian Pizzeria, staffed by Italians, to utter delight, I had a bit of a panic when ordering food. Initially all was well. I ordered a lovely entree and a glass of red. After a while I started to feel a little conspicuous on my own so in my discomfort I then ordered a pizza. Firstly, I didn't need to order a main, a dessert would have made more sense, secondly, why on earth would I order a pizza? If I felt uncomfortable before the pizza arrived I felt even more so when it arrived at my table. I think if I had had a book I would have felt more relaxed and ordered in a less rushed manner. I carried the left over pizza half way home, I chose to walk again, then I admit, I binned it, knowing I would't eat it. Next morning I found a great little book shop, Avid Reader, and bought a brilliant book by a Brisbane author, Boy Swallows Universe. I highly recommend it.
The Italian Pizzeria I ate at. A very popular and delicious restaurant.
Allow 24 to 36 hours to relax into your surroundings.
By Friday morning, I knew my way to and from the Brisbane Expo Centre, where the river was, where my accomodation was, some landmarks. I found a book store and a great cafe. I had made the mistake of not eating at all that first day until dinner, so Friday I had a good healthy breakfast, wrote in my Bullet journal and read my book.
Finally getting the hang of this.
I wandered down to the expo and stopped and helped someone find their way to where they needed to go, I tell you, I was practically a local. In the afternoon, I walked home first before heading out to check out a Lantern parade/festival but I got distracted by Victoria Bridge and the lights, (what?, who me? ) and followed the people into the business/shopping district of Brisbane.
Crossing Victoria Bridge
It was good to have a plan for the evening, and even better to stray from it. Down the main shopping mall there were several bands playing, loads of people and it was vibrant and busy. I wandered through the shops, stopped for a burger and beer, stopped for a gelato which I ate on the way home.
Saturday I checked out and got an uber to the expo centre where I stored my luggage and did some shopping, hmmm, more shopping, of art supplies. I then headed to the train station just behind the conference centre and got myself on a train to the Gold Coast to see my daughter and her partner.
Drinks for Mikayla's birthday
Long sunrise beach walks while the young folk sleep
I can now say I understand some of the appeal of travelling alone, it will never be my first choice, but I would always choose it over not going anywhere at all.
Love

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to do about the squirrels, otherwise known as "ohh look something shiny"

Hi all, Yeah, I was going merrily about my creative business when I fell down a rabbit hole.  A Junk Journaling rabbit hole.  This is a tr...